Clothing is something that we use in our life every single day, and at times it can be a hassle. There are so many different things that can happen to your clothes. You can outgrow them, spill something on them, or accidentally shrink them in the dryer.
Instead of running to the department store the next time you have a clothing catastrophe, you must read this list first. The most common clothing problems can be solved with just a few simple hacks! Hacking your wardrobe will save you time and money. Skip the expensive stain removers and buying new clothes. You can make your current wardrobe look even better without spending a dime.
These clothing and shoe hacks are for both men and women alike. They are guaranteed to save you money and help you better your look for less. Many things like stain removers and fabric softener can be very expensive, and we teach you how to be thrifty with what you already have around the house.
This list contains the top 45 clothing and shoe hacks we know. Be prepared to change the way you think about clothes!
1. Hide a knotted shirt under a belt
This is a great way to get a unique and classy outfit.
2. Tuck non skinny jeans into boots
Non-skinny jeans can be difficult to tuck into a boots. Fix that by doing this simple trick!
3. Perfect shirt cuff
You have probably been doing this wrong your whole life! This is a much better way to cuff a shirt.
4. Tuck in one half of your shirt
This one simple fashion hack can really make a difference.
5. Fix shoes with a bike repair kit
Rubber is rubber, so a bike repair kit can fix holes in shoes!
6. Keep boots wrinkle free with pool noodles
Who knew pool noodles could be this handy? Just cut a pool noodle in half and stick them in. Also keeps boots upright!
7. Use deodorant to prevent heel blisters
Apply clear deodorant inside of your shoes to prevent heel blisters. It works by decreasing friction.
8. Try a side tie
Instead of tying a shirt in the middle, why not tie it to the side to change things up?
9. Master this simple tuck technique
Makes any outfit look more put together, and it is easy to do!
10. Stretch tight boots
Have a pair of leather boots that are too tight? Put on a pair of thick socks and blow dry them on high!
11. Use Mr. Clean magic erasers on shoes
This is the best thing you can use to get dirt and grime off of shoes.
12. Carry Quick Tips with you
Quick Tips make it easy to repair a busted heel. Carry them with you to prevent a disaster!
13. Prevent sweat marks with lemon juice
Before you throw your sweaty clothes in the wash, spray them with a mix of lemon juice and water.
14. Loosen up your leather jacket
Is your leather jacket too stiff? Just get it wet and stretch it out. Works like a charm!
15. Invest in a lint remover
Keep all of your clothes looking new by investing in a lint remover. They are under $10!
16. Re-thread your hoodie string with a straw
Is the string in your hoodie not where it is supposed to be? Staple the string to a straw and pull it through
17. Fix stuck zippers with crayon
Is the zipper on your favorite hoodie stuck? Rub a crayon along both sides of the zipper. The wax helps it get unstuck.
18. Wash socks in a lingerie bag
Stop losing your socks! This is a great way to keep them all together
19. Use safety pins to fix hoodie strings
Attach a safety pin to a hoodie string to get rid of bunching.
20. Un-shrink a sweater with water and hair conditioner
Is your favorite sweater shrunken and no longer fitting you? Put it in warm water and hair conditioner for a few minutes.
21. Reduce the drying time of clothes
If you need a quick dry, roll up your wet clothes in a towel and squeeze them.
22. DIY grass stain remover
Get rid of grass stains with one tablespoon of dish soap and two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide.
23. Get rid of foot smell with tea
Place dried tea bags inside your smelly shoes to get rid of the smell!
24. Clean suede shoes with bread
Remove stains on suede shoes using bread. Amazing!
25. DIY wine stain remover
Salt and club soda make an easy and effective stain remover. Saves money!
26. Remove acrylic paint stains
Have an acrylic paint stain or a paint stained child? Rubbing alcohol is the best paint remover.
27. Prevent high-heel pain by taping your toes
Are a bad pair of heels causing you pain? Try taping your third and fourth toes together.
28. Put dryer sheets in shoes
A great and quick way to get rid of foot odor!
29. Use white bread to get rid of lipstick stains
White bread can get rid of lipstick stains! Cut off the crusts, then roll it into a ball and dab away.
30. Make clothes look new with a razor
Rubbing a razor on clothing can clean off all of the lint and hair. This will make clothing look new!
31. Repair flip flops instantly with super glue/water
Adding a little bit of water to super glue makes a quick drying glue solution that is perfect for flip flops.
32. Make old clothes smell fresh with vinegar
A mixture of vinegar and water is the perfect solution to make older clothes smell fresh.
33. Get gum off of clothes easily
You can easily remove gum from clothing by freezing it and then scraping it off with a butter knife.
34. Dry clothes with a salad spinner
Easily dry hand-washed clothes quicker with a salad spinner.
35. Keep denim dark with vinegar
Vinegar can keep dark denim actually dark, and it can prevent fading.
36. Keep buttons safe with nail polish
Is a loose button threatening to fall off? Keep it in place with clear nail polish over the top of the button.
37. Prevent angora sweaters from shedding
Place an angora sweater in a bag and freeze it for three hours. Then shake it and remove from the bag. All of the loose hair will stay in the bag!
38. Add lavender oil to your laundry
This makes your clothes smell fantastic. This also keeps them soft!
39. Alter jeans yourself
Don’t throw out those small jeans! You can alter them yourself.
41. Or use a hair tie
This works too. Great for maternity wear!
42. Remove ink stains with hairspray
A cheap and effective way to get rid of those pesky ink stains.
43. DIY oil stain remover
WD40 and baking soda can remove oil stains from clothes.
44. Remove lipstick with shaving cream
Shaving cream can remove lipstick stains from clothing.
45. And remember these charts for taking care of your clothes
Clothes are expensive. Remember these charts to take care of them properly!
What clothing and shoe hacks have come in handy for you? Let us know in the comments below!
And see more tips to make your stuff last longer at our Frugal Living page.